28 June 2010

Alright, back to business! Today's selection for "Better Know A Lolla Band" is the wonderful Dawes. I first heard of these fine fella's via Minnesota Public Radio 89.3 The Current (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/) and have been hooked ever since. Their beautifully vintage sound hearkens back to the CSNY/Neil Young Laurel Canyon style digs of the late 60's/early 70's. Recorded 100% on lush analog reel-to-reel, the debut record "North Hills" is the sound of the summer for me. One posted on YouTube that this song will "I feel confident that this is one of those songs that will define a time in my life. When I listen to this twenty years from now, I will be transported to this exact moment", I don't believe any finer comment can be had! Dawes will likely fall into the "also played" category for many festival-goers this year being scheduled across from The XX and Grizzly Bear. I suppose it will depend on how the day plays out, but i certainly hope to catch at least a portion of the show. Interesting side note, Dawes has a local connection, with Wilco's Pat Sansone appearing on the debut record. So enjoy Dawes "When My Time Comes", my dear fiends!


To add this to your catalog, here is the mp3.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/djfd2tfty8.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment